Shaqo Banan-Consultant- Curriculum Review and Development – Somaliland
- Visits: 2054
Deadline to apply: May 1st, 2015
Introduction Somali Youth Learners Initiative (SYLI) phase 2 program supports USAID/East Africa’s Assistance Objective Somalia Stability Improved Through Targeted Interventions that foster Good Governance, Economic Recovery, And reduce the Appeal for Extremism through a project goal of Increased Education, economic participation for Somali youth reduce instability in target areas. The program encompasses three interrelated result areas: 1) Fair and equitable secondary education services improved for at least 45, 489Somali youth, community members and education officials; 2) At Least 12, 700 youths have improved literacy, Numeracy and life skills through provision of Non Formal Education (NFE) and training of NFE Teachers, and 3) 50,000 youth empowered to participate and contribute positively and productively to society through strengthening of youth groups and safe spaces for dialogue and support of youth-led advocacy and community improvement projects.
The Ministry of Education and Higher Studies (MoE&HS) in Somaliland in collaboration with Mercy Corps is seeking to hire a qualified candidate as consultant who will closely work with the MoE&HS and Development Partners in the review and finalization of the National Curriculum Framework for Somaliland. He/She is expected to lead and support the process of curriculum transformation in tandem with Somaliland education legal framework.
Scope of Work
The Somaliland Education Sector Plan defines curriculum review as "fostering a conducive environment which prizes the values of peace, democracy, equality and tolerance” as one of the strategies that form the backbone of the educational development and planning, and that can help the nation to recover from the effect of its past war, to prevent future conflict, and to support the population and economic growth of the country. To achieve that, while responding to the changes in the environment and to ensure that they are reflected in the education system, the government of Somaliland has committed to: 1-Fully integrate into the educational system the principles of civic education, Physical Education (PE), Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and peace education as vital components to ensure respect for the rule of law and human rights. 2- Ensure that the basic education curricula are gender-responsive, and that it prepares students for life and the world of work. 3- Provide gender education at all levels, which includes education about gender-based violence and ensures equity in all education provision. 4- Support the study of the English language for Junior Secondary School (JSS) students and secondary school teachers. 5- Introduce Information Communication Technology (ICT) education in all institutions of learning, from primary to tertiary including TVET. 6- Strengthen the teaching and learning of science at all levels of the educational system. 7- Include health and nutrition issues in the curricula for all children. 8- Integrate and promote sound, age-appropriate life skills education at all levels of formal and non-formal education.
Specifically, the consultant will:
1- Provide leadership and technical assistance in the review and finalization of the National Curriculum Framework for Education while building capacity of members of the team and Ministry staff through the introduction of innovative ideas on relevant and current international trends in curriculum framework development 2- In collaboration with other stakeholders formulate assessment framework by guiding the development competency based assessment system in tandem with National Curriculum framework . The assessment model should have clearly spelt objectives, outcomes and standards. 3- Supervise all steps of the review and/or development of the National Curriculum Framework for Education to ensure deadlines are met 4- Provide clearly defined statement and framework profile to ensure its quality and relevance to the national educational goals 5-Guide the review and/or development of national syllabus for primary and secondary education by providing technical support and guiding the process of syllabus review/development. Incorporate NFE and TVET into the main curriculum framework. 6- Ensure special attention is given to equity, the definition of gender transformative dynamics in education, and the integration of social cohesion, conflict resolution and peace consolidation issues, as well as the promotion of child-centred pedagogy to support a safe and learner-friendly education environment Deliverables Inception report detailing understanding of the assignment, including consultation plan both at central and local level
1-Consolidated consultation report (policy and professional bodies) 2-Finalized draft of the National Curriculum Framework for Education 3-Final consultancy report including general guidelines and recommendations for: a) The selection/development of relevant Teaching Learning Materials including Supplementary Teaching/Learning Materials b) The incorporation of the Curriculum Framework principles in relevant Teacher Training Programmes c) The incorporation of primary, secondary and TVET/NFE curriculum framework principles in school monitoring
1 Train Syllabus Script writers/ Subject Panel in the development and/or review of syllabus 2 Produce revised syllabus for primary and secondary education for Somaliland.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- At least a Masters degree in education, with major in curriculum development or any other relevant fields. PhD in Education, Curriculum development is preferred.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated experience in curriculum development, textbook compilation, syllabi and course materials design and teaching aids, preferably related to basic education with a sound understanding and knowledge of the sector
- Substantial experience of consultative processes for educational reform
- Thorough understanding of the issues surrounding development of educational reform in transitional, fragile contexts
- Solid work experience in an educational and academic context in a teaching/training capacity
- Experience and ability in utilizing formal project management tools, and relevant software applications, such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project, and SPSS PC+;
- Proven leading and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and multi-agency environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising the quality, team spirit and constructive working relationships with all colleagues;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, and Somali
- Ability to actively seek and improve services, offer new and different options/initiatives to solve problems/meet client needs, promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
- demonstrated ability to work with, motivate and train government staff; and commitment to perform any other related tasks as may be assigned by the supervisors and other authorities;
- Willingness to work over time or on weekends due to needs and demands of the tasks
- Deep understanding of the gender transformative potential of education through curriculum delivery desirable
- Vast knowledge of education goals and outcomes in the African context desirable
- Knowledge of Somaliland or East African education systems highly desirable
Duration of Assignment
The assignment will be for 6 months, subject to satisfactory performance at the end of the first 3 months of probationary period. After 6 months, subject to a complete performance review, availability of funding; and the circumstances of the Ministry of Education prevailing at that time, an extension to the contract may be considered after bilateral consent.
This position will be based in Hargeisa, Somaliland and housed at the Ministry of Education and Higher Studies, Curriculum Unit.
Reporting The position holder will technically report to the Director General, Ministry of Education & Higher Studies. S/he will work closely with the Department of Curriculum. S/he will also report to Mercy Corp SYLI Deputy Chief of Party on all administrative matters.How to Apply
Please follow this link to apply:https://mercycorps.silkroad.com